So we have made it through our first tourney experience as a club. It was overall a great time. we learned a lot, we connected with a lot of great people and saw the sport aspect of "our thing" in full swing - pun intended. Here are a few keynotes that have stuck out in our minds.
- Tournament fighting has a specific set of skills that are related but separate from the manuscripts
- The judges are human, fallible, and doing their best to be impartial and accurate - mistakes are inevitable.
- The camaraderie across the clubs is strong and extends very quickly to welcome new players to the "field".
- The competitive spirit is strong yet it seems no matter who wins, the victory is celebrated wholeheartedly, even in the disappointment for the one who was defeated (I am sure that this experience will be different in other tournaments).
- We need to bring more film equipment.